As a general rule, possessive adjectives are preceded by an article and this is still the case when discussing family members in the plural. However, the article is NOT used with family members in the singular.
- Mio padre è un idraulico. (My father is a plumber.)
- Mia sorella e tuo fratello sono amici. (My sister and your brother are friends.)
- I miei genitori mangiano frutta. (My parents eat fruit).
- I tuoi fratelli sono entrambi alti. (Your brothers are both tall.)
Another confusing caveat to this however, is that the definite article IS still used with singular nouns that are variations of the basic form:
- il papà (dad)
- la mamma (mom)
- il fratellino (little brother)
Some of us are fortunate enough to also have a bisnonno (great grandfather) and a bisnonna (great grandmother).
|nephew, niece, grandchild